Monday, July 9, 2012

Colleen Hoover: Slammed

Slammed
Colleen Hoover
Published January 1, 2012 (eBook)
ISBN: 2940014187602
314 Pages

Synopsis
Layken was named in a compromise between her very loving parents. Her mom wanted to name her Layla, her dad wanted Kennedy, so they took the first three letters of each and mashed them together. He mom calls her Lake. Lake is 18 and a senior in high school when her father dies in a car accident. She, her mother, and her 9 year old brother Kel are forced to move from their big ranch home in Texas to a small rental house in Michigan. She is quickly losing spirit when her new, attractive 21-year old neighbor enters the picture. There is an instant connection, but life quickly rears it's head, and there are some major obstacles keeping them apart. 

Musings
One night I woke up about 2am and I could not go back to sleep. I wanted to read something new, and found this in the Amazon top 100 romance (at #9 this week). It sounded good, but I was a little apprehensive because it's YA fiction. I asked myself, how good a romance could it be without falling into the cheesy category?  Then I read a handful of reviews and found out some tid-bits.  Call me interested.  This is Colleen Hoover's first work, and she wrote the bulk of it in a month (my guess, NaNoWrMo, considering her slam poem in book 2). Reviewers were gossiping that some of her feedback was faked, and her 5 star rating wasn't legit.  I decided this was the book to read that restless night, just to see who was right. I started in around 2:15am and finished it that same morning, setting it down only once to go pee.

First: the high rating, the quick climb, the hype - all deserved. It gets some leeway for being Young Adult Fiction, but even then, it's well written. The first person PoV takes some getting used to, and could be a little stronger, but once you sink in, you can easily get past it. The characters are awesome too. I want Lake's mom's insight, Will's patience, Eddie's confidence, and Caulder & Kel's imagination. These people are so rich, you very quickly become attached.

The story is what makes this exemplary. It didn't feel like a repeat. So often (especially right now) the new hot books are re-writes of previous success. I was starting to get the feeling I was reading the same books over and over again.  Not with this story. It has a couple of unique twists that almost catch you off-guard.  And yes - it totally made me cry. It was happy, sad, romantic, inspiring, all the default things you want a good book to be. But it was also different. The poetry aspect bothered me at first, but this isn't stuffy old Keats.  This poetry is modern day, powerful, and highly emotional - not to mention easy to understand and relate to.

This is definitely one of my must-reads. All ages, all walks of life, everyone can get something out of this series.  Highly recommended 4.5 Stars.
-Rita
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment