Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice


" 'Tis a truth universially acknowledged, that a lonely girl in possesion of a vivid imagination, must be in want of a good romance. Hence, they will absolutly love Pride and Prejudice."
- me >:)

Jane Austen is a young woman's god.

Sigh - Typical right? But I vow my loyalty and adoration to this particular novel. The first time a read it was in Junior High, and I have read it at least once every year since then. I think I was in college before it felt like I knew most of the nuances. With most great books they change depending on your mood, and each time you re-read them, you pick up different pieces.

I read a novel recently where the characters made fun of the girly masses for fawning over Jane Austen's novels. Calling it predictable, and lame - but hey! I resent that. It is a classic. It is universally loved. You can't fault it for what it just...is. Hmmm. I could retort that that particular author might just be jealous ;)

Pride and Prejudice is about a man and a woman, who's pride, vanity, stubbornness, and yes - prejudice, get in the way of what they feel. It is a classic romance. Snooty guy wants girl who is below his station. Well raised girl dislikes snooty guy for being well... snooty. Mishaps, misunderstanding, and a mother play in.
If you haven't read it - SMACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment