Monday, May 21, 2012

Rick Riordan: The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles - Book 1)
Rick Riordan
Published May 4th, 2010 by Hyperion Books
ISBN: 1423113381
516 Pages

Synopsis
Sadie and Carter Kane are siblings who look nothing alike. They have been separated since their mom died, Carter traveling the world with his Egyptian Archaeologist dad, and Sadie trapped in London with her grandparents. On the one day a year the kids get to spend together with their dad, they disobey his request and watch him perform some world altering magic in the British Museum's Egyptian wing. Now there are Egyptian gods on the lose, both good and evil, and it is up to these to siblings to set things right.



Musings
Okay, so this was recommended to be by a friend. I read Riordan's Percy Jackson series, and it was pretty good - so I figured I'd give this series a shot. First impression - it's not really my cup of tea. I had to force myself to pick it back up (several times), just so I could finish.  And now, since I promised my friend I would read the whole series, I am starting Book 2. She ensures me it gets way better, the 3rd book being the best. We shall see...

I think my feet dragging on this book has more to do with personal preference & interest than the quality of the book. Riordan writes well, his story flows, and there are lots of plot devices and constant action. He manages to surprise you a few times, and the story is funny and fresh. Egyptian lore is limitless, and you can interpret and twist the gods and mythology as needed to complete the story. Maybe my problem is that I am a little too saturated with Egyptian fiction?  Stargate being my favorite show of all time. And then, every popular show has it's own take on the mummy, or some other popular Egyptian tale or artifact.

Riordan's interpretations are standard, and can be a little boring. He didn't experiment enough.  The two main characters Sadie and Carter are well rounded, but again - lack that punch that makes them someone you root for (or love to hate). And the method of story telling (transcribing a recording told by two characters)... annoying at times, confusing at others.

I would recommend this to the kids it was written for or anyone with a hankering for the author. It's good. Just not great. 3 stars!
-Rita
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment